Student Spotlight: Matthew Olson (’17)

Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson, Honors Scholar

LinkedIn

Major: Accounting and Economics

Hometown: Glastonbury, CT

Why did you join Honors in Business Association?

I joined Honors in Business Association in order to engage with like minded peers to learn about a wide range of business aspects. These aspects are shown throughout various club events and meetings. The club gives unique opportunities such as a business etiquette dinner, and the chance to attend an intercollegiate business conference at Harvard. These sorts of opportunities are scarcely offered else where, if at all, so I was motivated to join.

What else are you involved in on campus besides HiBA?

Besides Honors in Business Association, I participate in a variety of organizations in various roles. Currently I am the treasurer for the campus’ Beta Alpha Psi chapter, a mentor in Peer Alliance Through Honors, and frequent as a donor for Red Cross blood drives.

What do you enjoy most about UConn?

I most enjoy all of the people at UConn and the different perspectives and lifestyles they have. Upon coming to UConn I have made friends from all over the world in all walks of life and it really opens up the way you see the world around you. I also really appreciate all of the opportunities that UConn provides to all of its students from professional networking events all the way to watching the basketball teams earn championship titles time and time again.

What are your career aspirations?

Upon graduation I am striving to join a large public accounting firm while being a CPA. I hope to get into the world of real estate accounting, and to someday start my own business or at least be in a significant decision making position within a company.

Previous Internships

I have spent the past two summers working at a property management firm called Imagineers LLC as an accounting intern where I got to see many different aspects of real estate that I enjoyed. I recently started working working part time at Grant Thornton as a year round intern where I will rotate through the tax, audit, and business advisory departments.

Fun Fact About Yourself

My blood type is A-, which only 6% of the population has.