Student Spotlight: Sara Ponce (’18)

Sara Ponce Tovar

LinkedIn

Major: Finance

Minor: Economics

Hometown: Oxford, CT

Why did you join the Honors in Business Association?

I joined Honors in Business Association because I wanted to learn about the business world and meet students with similar interests and goals. Everyone in HiBA shows commitment and drive to succeed. I feel motivated being surrounded by like-minded Honors students. HiBA offers students the opportunity to make professional connections and participate in various networking events and information session. I personally enjoy learning about business through UConn alumni speakers, their stories and advice are motivating.

What else are you involved in on campus?

Outside of the honors program, I am also involved in the Mexican Student Association and UConn Endurance Club, I am running a half-marathon on April 15th! I transferred from the UConn Waterbury campus this semester. At the UConn Waterbury campus, I was President of International Club (formally known as Latin American Student Organization). We volunteered in soup kitchens and raised money for non-profit local organizations.

What do you enjoy most about UConn?

I enjoy and take full advantage of all the opportunities the University of Connecticut has to offer. There are various organizations for students to get involved and grow as young professionals. One of the best opportunities I was presented with was studying abroad in Lund University, Sweden. The UConn School of Business also offers emerging young business leaders the resources to network and enhance your resume and skills.

What are your career aspirations?

I plan on attending law school and specialize in business law. The Legal and Ethical Environment of Business course at UConn confirmed my interests. I also aspire to become an international human rights attorney. I found a great deal of interest in this topic after a International Law course I took at Lund University. With the growing interconnectedness of foreign states, international disputes will continue to arise and I want to help make decisions for the greater good.

Previous Internship

I was a legal assistant at The Law Offices of James Welcome, a small firm in Waterbury, Connecticut for two years. I started as a marketing intern. Because of my interest in law, I was offered training as a legal assistant. Eventually I worked part-time and full-time as a legal assistant, primarily assisting with immigration and criminal law. This past summer I had to the opportunity to attend the American Immigration Lawyers Association Conference for paralegals in New Orleans which gave me more insight into preparing immigration forms. I am very fortunate for this experience because I developed a greater understanding of the legal system and it confirmed my decision to attend law school.

Fun Fact About Yourself

I am trying to visit 21 countries before I turn 21 (4 more to go before September!)